Lead Came for Stained Glass Lamp Shade

by robert faires

how and what type of lead came can you use to make a stained glass lamp shade? do you use the H shaped and just form it to the angles or the U shaped and use 2 pieces, one on each piece of glass? i am wondering about the sloping angles that are not 180 degrees or 90 degrees. thanks


I have never made a lamp shade using lead came, but I have repaired many of them. Repairing leaded lamp shades has been a majority of our repair business. Most of them break because the lead stretches and the glass falls out, or the vase cap pulls loose and the shade falls.

Most of them have been made with flat H came. I honestly can't tell you much more than that, so I'll ask other people reading this to tell us what they use/how they do it.

Comments for Lead Came for Stained Glass Lamp Shade

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 12, 2009
Lead Came Lampshade
by: Patrick

I tried to bend a 3/8" H lead to an angle, but it didn't work. Other than 90 deg corners, I believe it would be difficult other than using two U came and soldered together at the desired angle. That would make it rather heavy though.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Lead Came Questions.

Copyright 2018-2019

Click here to read our Privacy Policy and Disclaimer

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Stained Glass Gems.